Out of the sixty-three counties making up the Kingdom of Hungary, only thirty-three survived the Treaty of Trianon, and only ten of those were left completely intact. So-called “fragmented” counties, as a result, formed along the new borders of Hungary. A glaring example of a fragmented county was Ugocsa, of which Hungary kept only 100 square meters located on the outskirts of Tiszapéterfalva, a village that fell on the Czechoslovak side of the post-Trianon border. Law XXXV of 1923 combined adjacent fragmented counties, which decreased the number of counties in post-Trianon Hungary to twenty-five. The now consolidated counties were designated by the k.e.e abbreviation (közigazgatásilag egyelőre egyesített [currently administratively unified]), for example, Csanád–Arad–Torontál k.e.e. County, with the town of Makó as its county seat. In the wake of the First Vienna Award (November 2nd, 1938), when the southern part of the Felvidék (Hungarian Highlands) was returned to Hungary, additional k.e.e. counties had to be created (for example, Bars and Hont k.e.e. County). However, the practice was no longer used for future reannexations. In Subcarpathia, for example, which was reannexed in several phases by Hungary culminating with the signing of the Second Vienna Award on August 30th, 1940, the Governorate of Subcarpathia was established to administer Ruthenia (with three administrative branch offices: Ung, Bereg and Máramaros) while the territories inhabited by Hungarians and Romanians were reintegrated into the county system. That is, the administrative branch office of Máramaros was run by the Governorate of Subcarpathia while Máramaros County fell outside of its authority.
by Gábor Hollósi